Entrepreneurs, retailers, corporations, nonprofits, and home-based businesses appreciate their public library’s business centers and diverse resources.
“Large businesses use our Business & Career Center’s private rooms to interview potential employees. Other organizations present special programs in our fully equipped meeting venues. And, entrepreneurs who have researched a new business concept can work with SCORE counselors to develop business plans,” says Terry Ratoff, Business Services Librarian, Skokie Public Library, Illinois. “If you’re starting a new career, we can help you with your resume and identify potential employers and job sites.”
The Business & Career Center is also useful to home-based and other small businesses, providing additional space for meeting clients and hosting presentations. “One business owner told me she moved her business into a small office space near the library because she knew she could hold larger meetings here.”
The library’s Business & Career Center offers access to other library resources, available online and at the library via a free Business Library Card.
- Online Resources open new doors. You can research a variety of business, industry and investment sources, technology venues, sites to learn another language, and technology and software training from your home or office.
- The Business and Career Center’s meeting rooms are equipped with wi-fi, SMART boards, voice conference and projection equipment. The largest room accommodates 49 individuals, another seats 16 around a large conference table, and the smallest room seats 5.
- The Digital Media Lab provides equipment and staff support for creating digital videos, music, photography, websites and more.
- Ongoing classes and programs presented by the library as well as other expert presenters include: SMART Phone Photography and editing, Managing Your Business Cash Flow, Creating a Business Plan for loan applications. The library holds regular Business before Hours sessions which cover a variety of subjects to help small businesses use social media such as “Build Your Business with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.”
- Business and technical books and magazines for small businesses are available in the library or online https://skokielibrary.info/books-movies-more/ebooks-downloads/
- SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) offers two opportunities at the library: one-on-one business consultations with SCORE counselors as well as SCORE programs on specific subjects.
- Library experts will schedule one-on-one sessions with you to introduce new resources and technology and help you meet challenges in other areas, such as mobile devices or software questions.
- Skokie Public Library’s ongoing programs and classes feature a variety of business and career oriented subjects.
Whether you want to escape your office clutter and distractions to work on a special project, or you want to take photos/videos of your pizza parlor for marketing purposes, or you want to meet with a client in a private room, or you want to explore new career opportunities, or you want to reserve a room for your association’s program, your public library is there for you. Check it out to grow your business!
Business Center Meeting Room at the Skokie Public Library: https://skokielibrary.info/services/businesses/business-center/
Overview of the Skokie Public Library Business Services: https://skokielibrary.info/services/businesses/
For more information, contact Terry Ratoff, Community Engagement Librarian Business Services, Skokie Public Library: TRatoff@skokielibrary.info, 847-324-3417.